Ten fundamentals of progressive education. How many do you agree with
1) Progressive education is in the domain of the social sciences and is not an art or natural science
2) Progressive views should be embedded in praxis based upon a philosophical and theoretical educational tradition.
3) The purpose of progressive education can be viewed pragmatically as a critical pedagogy for a democratic Society in a dialectical conversation with the knowledge of the past and a progressive vision of the future
5) Progressive practitioners are collaborative and outward looking
6) Progressive education is evidence informed (not evidence based) based upon practice informed research using qualitative and quantitative research methods.
7) Cognition is not based upon memory it’s holistic; social and emotional
8) Progressives see knowledge from a fallibilist perspective; constructed but not transmitted
9) Pedagogical approaches are used dependent upon context not on dogmatic assumptions. Pedagogical approaches include; teacher talk, inquiry / discovery based learning and assessment but are structured within a framework of communication, instruction and supportive feedback (see the dynamic model of educational effectiveness (Creemers & Kyriakides, 2006)
10) Progressive education views knowledge of the world as mediated, separate to the way the world is and socially real